Wednesday 17 November 2010

Tesco Freeview Experiment - Applications closed

Thanks to all of you who have applied to join the Tesco Freeview Experiment.

Applications are now closed, and I am sifting through the postcodes to confirm the 20 different main service transmitters that will be used in the experiments tonight and I'll announce on this blog tomorrow morning the applicants to receive the Technika Freeview HD set-top box with 'Channel Zero' capability.

The way I'll perform the selection is simple:

  1. I'll check each postcode against the data at http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters.php to ensure that the applicant lives within the service area of a 'main service' transmitter. 
  2. If more than one applicant is served by the same main service transmitter, I will use a random variable to select the applicant using Microsoft Excel's RAND() random function. I'll sort by RAND() and the person sorted to the top within the same main service transmitter group will get the box.
  3. I will publish the applicant's first name, postal town, and main service transmitter name on this blog tomorrow morning and follow it up with an email.
If you are not on the list then you won't be receiving a set-top box from me but you can still join in if you have a compatible 'Channel Zero' Freeview receiver:


Simply follow this blog to join in the Tesco Freeview Experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As this blog grows in readership - and because it carries the Tesco brand - I have had to become more careful about the sort of comments that are acceptable. The good news is that I'm a champion of free speech so please be as praising or as critical as you wish! The only comments I DON'T allow through are:

1. Comments which criticise an individual other than myself, or are critical of an organisation other than Tesco. This is simply because they cannot defend themselves so is unfair and possibly libellous. Comments about some aspect of Tesco being better/worse than another equivalent organisation are allowed as long as you start by saying "in my personal opinion.." or "I think that...". ... followed by a "...because.." and some reasoned argument.

2. Comments which are totally unrelated to the context of the original article. If I have written about a mobile app and you start complaining about the price of potatoes then your comment isn't going stay for long!

3. Advertising / web links / spam.

4. Insulting / obscene messages.


Ok, rules done - now it's your go: