Friday 12 November 2010

Tesco.com CEO Laura Wade-Gery is #3 in Retail Week Etail Powerlist 2010

"Top People" lists seem all to be the rage these days, and it's always nice to get a mention in them.

Tesco.com CEO Laura Wade-Gery has made it to number 3 in Retail Week's inaugural Etail Powerlist 2010 - Retail Week’s ranking of 50 most powerful people in online retail.

Laura is pipped only by Jeff Bezos at No.2, President and chief executive, Amazon (which speaks for itself) and at Number 1 is Nick Robertson, founder and chief executive at ASOS, the online clothes retailer. I've met Nick several times over the last few years (the first time just after the Bunsfield oil terminal explosion blew apart his warehouse) and a nicer and more focussed person would be difficult to find.

I get a mention in the Etail Powerlist 2010, too, as one of ten people who are "rising stars"! Part of this positioning seemed to stem from a speech I gave recently at the Internet Retailing conference when I had to step in at the last minute to replace my CIO, JJ Van Oosten, since I had written his presentation. It makes me wonder that, had JJ actually presented as planned, he would be the "rising star". That'll make an interesting conversation when I have coffee with him this morning. Have a look at what I mean from the Retail Week editorial (emphasis mine):
Avid blogger Lansley has been involved with Tesco.com’s biggest recent developments, including championing the publishing of its application programming interface (API), which allows third parties to tightly integrate with Tesco.com and act as complementary routes to market. Lansley also stepped in and did a great job when Tesco.com’s CIO JJ Van Oosten wasn’t able to make a planned presentation at Internet Retailing. Expect to see him stepping up as a face of Tesco.com more in the future.
Well as long as JJ doesn't respond, "over my dead body!". I better buy the coffees....

No comments:

Post a Comment

As this blog grows in readership - and because it carries the Tesco brand - I have had to become more careful about the sort of comments that are acceptable. The good news is that I'm a champion of free speech so please be as praising or as critical as you wish! The only comments I DON'T allow through are:

1. Comments which criticise an individual other than myself, or are critical of an organisation other than Tesco. This is simply because they cannot defend themselves so is unfair and possibly libellous. Comments about some aspect of Tesco being better/worse than another equivalent organisation are allowed as long as you start by saying "in my personal opinion.." or "I think that...". ... followed by a "...because.." and some reasoned argument.

2. Comments which are totally unrelated to the context of the original article. If I have written about a mobile app and you start complaining about the price of potatoes then your comment isn't going stay for long!

3. Advertising / web links / spam.

4. Insulting / obscene messages.


Ok, rules done - now it's your go: