Thursday 7 October 2010

Web browser trends on Tesco.com site

As part of my fact-finding role I have received statistics that reveal the web browsers that customers are using to access the Tesco.com web site.

The background for wanting to acquire this information was to discover what influence mobile browsers are having to the overall mix. As I uncover this more precise information (which I am keeping internal for the time being), I thought it would be good to share with you the more general trends.

As you can see in the graph below (click graph to see larger version), Microsoft's Internet Explorer still dominates but its overall influence (across all IE versions) has declined from 72.7% to 65.6% between January and September  2010.

This reduction is taken up by the small but increasing influence of Safari from 4.8% in Jan 2010 to 8.1% in Sept 2010, and Google Chrome doubling from 3.7% to 7.4% in the same time period. Firefox has hardly moved - from 16.1% to 16.6%.

"Other" browsers have declined from 2.7% down to 1.9% although I am uncovering some evidence that a few such browsers masquerade as leading brands (indeed you can change a setting to select a suitable masquerade from IE to Firefox!). I guess this is happening to 'fool' web sites that check if a browser is valid for the functionality on their site.




Taking just the Internet Explorer trends, I obtained the graph below over the same time period (click for larger version). I don't think there is much of a surprise here. IE7 is giving way to IE8, although IE6 battles onwards if downwards! In September 2010 IE6 represented 8.3% of all visits, more than all the other individual competitor browsers other than Firefox. Given that it launched in August 2001, IE6 has served its Redmond master well, even if it has caused us a few headaches over its interesting take on HTML, Document Object Model, and JavaScript compatibility over the years...



Thanks to Dave Merrilees from Tesco.com's IT user-interface team for sourcing this information for me.

1 comment:

  1. Just to note, I've found when using Safari on the Iphone, while browsing tesco direct, the browser freezes when attempting to load up 3 pages in a row. I have to resort to copying my current page, and pasting it into a new tab, every time I need to click a link, otherwise I'll freeze for a good minute or two. I actually use this website to assist customers with direct purchases (I'm a Tech Team member).

    ReplyDelete

As this blog grows in readership - and because it carries the Tesco brand - I have had to become more careful about the sort of comments that are acceptable. The good news is that I'm a champion of free speech so please be as praising or as critical as you wish! The only comments I DON'T allow through are:

1. Comments which criticise an individual other than myself, or are critical of an organisation other than Tesco. This is simply because they cannot defend themselves so is unfair and possibly libellous. Comments about some aspect of Tesco being better/worse than another equivalent organisation are allowed as long as you start by saying "in my personal opinion.." or "I think that...". ... followed by a "...because.." and some reasoned argument.

2. Comments which are totally unrelated to the context of the original article. If I have written about a mobile app and you start complaining about the price of potatoes then your comment isn't going stay for long!

3. Advertising / web links / spam.

4. Insulting / obscene messages.


Ok, rules done - now it's your go: